To be fair, this has not been overtly promoted, making it understandable that BEA in Chicago in 2016 is not common knowledge. It is not a rumor, it is fact. Still that is 2 1/2 years and 3 show cycles away. BEA's present focus is on a few core items that insures BEA remains a compelling and critical event for the whole industry. The biggest two are:
- Creating a unique, unparalleled pop culture event for consumers that is centered around books and authors
- Protecting the B2B value prop for BEA exhibitors and attendees.
That is deeper fodder for another time, this post is all about the WHERE for BEA after 2016. We are asking the question and doing the due diligence on where BEA should be after 2016 so that continues to be the best event possible for the most people. There is a quick survey at the top of this page.
Please weigh in with your vote
HOWEVER, before you do vote, I ask that you to sit in my seat for a minute and weigh all the factors to be evaluated to make a decision that serves the most people best.
- BEA depends heavily on the results from our annual exhibitor and attendee research and NYC continues to perform extremely well - with the worst scores from NYC beating out Chicago, Washington and Los Angeles (well - anything short of prison camp might beat the scores from LA).
- Venue size and availability - BEA happens at a prime time of the year in terms of trade show activity - this makes getting some venues more of a challenge and where BEA will fit along with a high need for a big meeting room inventory.
- Hotel inventory and pricing - while BEA might be smaller than it was 10 years ago, BEA still draws a similar number of attendees as it did in 2004 and BEA has to have a sizable hotel inventory with a variety of price options. I know, that does not sound like NYC, but there are many options around $200 or less and cities like San Fran are tough because they would actually be harder than NYC.
- Press/Media - BEA draws an enviable amount of media both in numbers and in coverage and that remains one of the most valuable pieces of BEA and BEA has to weigh this in any location, which heavily favors NYC.
- Access: It is critical that most of BEA's constituents can get travel to BEA with easy options for direct flights domestically or internationally.
- Is a city a destination for BEA?? San Fran, Boston, Seattle all offer attractive cultural scenes with rich literary histories but go back up the list of items and the dings come in. Suffice to say - BEA Orlando, BEA Dallas, BEA Atlanta - well I will start looking at prison camps first. All great cities in their own right, but not cities that BEA exhibitors or attendees would seek as a destination.
We are here because people are increasingly voicing the sentiment that BEA needs to move from New York for a variety of reasons - one being needing variety away from NYC and the big one being the cost of NYC. Make your voice heard, but also think of all the voices and the needs each constituency has vested for participating in BEA.
BEA Future Dates
2015 Thursday May 28 - Saturday May 30th - Javits Center, NYC
2016 Thursday May 12 - Saturday May 14th - McCormick Place, Chicago